Pickled green tomatoes
- 300ml (½ pint) white wine vinegar or malt vinegar
- 900g (2lb) granulated sugar
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 level teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1.5kg (3lb) small green tomatoes, skinned (see 'Top tip')
To skin green tomatoes, add them to a pan of boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water, then peel off the skin.
- Put vinegar, sugar, spices and 150ml (¼ pint) water into a large pan. Heat gently, stirring, until sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer very gently for 5 minutes. Spoon the tomatoes into a large bowl and pour vinegar syrup over. Cover and leave to cool overnight. 3. Strain the syrup into a large pan and boil for 10 minutes.
- Pack tomatoes into sterilised jars and pour in syrup right to the top. The syrup will be thick but, in storage, it will thin down. Cover and seal while hot. Serve with cold meats or cheese.
Top tip: To skin green tomatoes, add them to a pan of boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water, then peel off the skin. Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 38(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.