Spatchcock chicken with lemon and chilli sauce
- 3 x 450g (1lb) poussin, spatchcocked (see below) or 6 chicken legs
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley), very finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
If you prefer, these would be great cooked on the barbecue for 30 minutes, turning them a few times.
- Put the chickens in a large dish and coat with the olive oil. Sprinkle well with herbs and seasoning, and add the lemon slices. Cover and leave for an hour or longer. Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C and put a shallowish roasting tin in to heat up.
- Put the chicken in the preheated tin. Set aside the lemon slices. Cook the chicken in the oven for 30-35 minutes until just browned and cooked through (when a skewer is inserted into the thigh, the juices that run out should be clear).
- Remove chicken from the tin, reserving juices, and leave covered in foil. Put the lemon slices in roasting tin and cook in the oven at Gas Mark 7 or 220°C for 15-20 minutes, until just caramelised.
- Meanwhile, pour the chicken juices into a wide pan, bring to the boil, add the chilli and reduce to a sauce, which takes about 10 minutes, while the lemon slices cook. Check the seasoning.
- Chop each spatchcock in half and arrange in a bowl or on a platter. Scatter with the lemon slices and pour the hot dressing over.
Top tip: If you prefer, these would be great cooked on the barbecue for 30 minutes, turning them a few times. Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 270(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.