Filo pastry salmon pie
- 500g (1lb) salmon fillets, plain or lightly smoked
- 150g (5oz) raw tiger prawns
- 200ml carton crème fraîche
- 150g packet cream cheese with garlic and herbs, eg. Boursin
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6-8 sheets filo pastry
- 30g (1oz) butter, melted
Filo pastry is rolled out extremely thinly, so when it's not being used, keep it covered with a damp tea-towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C, and place the baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Cut the salmon into 2.5cm (1in) cubes. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add salmon and prawns to pan and allow the water to come to the boil again, then remove pan from heat and leave fish to poach for 2-3 mins or until just cooked. Drain.
- Beat together the crème fraîche, cream cheese, eggs and plenty of seasoning, until smooth.
- Depending on the size and shape of the filo pastry sheets, it may be necessary to cut them in half - they should be wide enough to line the tin and, depending on the length of the sheets, you might need to use 2 sheets for each layer. Layer up 4 sheets of pastry in the tin, brushing a little melted butter on each layer, and allowing the edges to overlap the tin slightly. Spread fish out in pastry case and pour cream cheese mixture over. Fold overhanging edges of pastry into the centre. Brush a little butter over another 1-2 sheets filo pastry and then tear pastry into shreds and arrange it on the top of pie, so that it’s scrunched up slightly.
- Place flan tin on the heated baking sheet, and bake in centre of oven for 25-30 mins, or until pastry is crisp and golden. Remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin for about 10-15 mins, so the filling sets, then remove from tin. The pie can be served warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 505(kcal)
- Fat 41.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.