Easy chicken noodle soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This deliciously comforting easy chicken noodle soup will be welcomed all year round. There are no herbs or spices just tasty, fresh ingredients that provide simple flavour. Choose which noodles to use from a variety available. Use good fresh chicken stock if you can for maximum flavour. Itís extremely easy to make your own chicken stock by boiling up your leftover Sunday roast chicken with an onion, a carrot a few black peppercorns and whatever fresh or dried herbs you have to hand. Strain the stock and once itís cold you can freeze it until you are ready to use in soups, stews and sauces.
- 225g chicken breast fillets, skinned
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1.2ltr hot chicken stock
- 225g vermicelli noodles
- 150g baby spinach leaves
You will find different types of vermicelli in most supermarkets. Some are made from egg pasta and some from rice (the rice vermicelli being whiter). Cooking times will vary slightly depending on the type of vermicelli. Check packet cooking instructions. Alternatively use thin spaghetti.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 mins, stirring until just golden. Add the peppers and stir-fry for 1 min then add the spring onions and stir-fry for 1 min more.
- Stir in the stock, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring up to the boil, reduce the heat slightly and add the noodles. Simmer for 4-8 mins see Thatís good to know) or until the noodles are just beginning to soften. Add the spinach and heat until just wilted. Serve straight away in warm bowls.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 314(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
- Sugars 9.0g
- Salt 2.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.