Spicy steak with plum sauce
- 6sirloin, rump or fillet steaks
- 2 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 2 tbsp mild olive oil
For the plum sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots or 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) or 6-8 ripe red plums, halved
- 5 tbsp dry red wine (or water)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
The sauce can be made the day before use and kept in the fridge, then reheated. It can also be freezed (use within 3 months). This plum sauce is also good served with duck, chicken or turkey.
- 1 To make the plum sauce: heat the oil in a frying pan, add the shallot, or onion, and cook until light brown - about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and plum halves, cook for a minute, then mix in the wine or water, vinegar and brown sugar.
- Simmer, half-covered, for about 10 minutes. Sieve to purée and remove the plum stones and skins, then stir in the soy sauce, ginger and seasoning. Serve warm.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle Five Spice Powder on the steaks and pan-fry them, in a little hot oil, until cooked to your liking. Add the de-glazed pan juices to the plum sauce, if you like.
Top tip: The sauce can be made the day before use and kept in the fridge, then reheated. It can also be freezed (use within 3 months). This plum sauce is also good served with duck, chicken or turkey.Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 310(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.