Pickled peppered peaches
- 500g (1lb) granulated sugar
- 300ml (½ pint) white wine vinegar
- Thinly pared rind of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp each pink, green and black peppercorns
- 1kg (2¼lb) or 6 slightly ripe peaches, skinned
- Sterilised jars
Halve the peaches and stone them, if you can, as they will pack into the jars more easily. This recipe would also work equally well with apricots, just cook them for a few minutes first.
- Put the granulated sugar, vinegar, lemon rind and peppercorns in a pan. Heat gently, stirring, for about 5 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the peaches to the pan and simmer until soft - about 8 minutes.
- Lift the fruit out with a draining spoon and pack it into the sterilised jars.
- Continue boiling the vinegar mixture until slightly reduced and beginning to thicken to a syrup - 3-5 minutes.
- Pour syrup over the fruit to cover them. Cover and seal jars.
Top tip: Halve the peaches and stone them, if you can, as they will pack into the jars more easily. This recipe would also work equally well with apricots, just cook them for a few minutes first. Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 94(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.