Sticky spare ribs
- Approx 1kg (2¼lb) or more spare ribs (or 2 whole racks)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2tbsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- 2tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) clear honey
- 100ml (3½ oz) hoisin sauce
- 150ml (5fl oz) soy sauce
- 1tbsp toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- Set the oven to gas mark 2-3 (150°C-160°C). Put the ribs in a shallow roasting tin or baking tray, season well with salt and pepper and roast for 1 hr.
- Meanwhile, put the rest of the ingredients, except the sesame seeds, in a small pan and cook over a medium heat for 15 mins, stirring the sauce occasionally until reduced. Make sure you pour off any meat juices from the tray into the saucepan.
- Baste the ribs with the sauce and cook them for another hour, turning them occasionally. If still in racks, put on a board and cut into ribs.
- Reduce the sauce in a pan and spoon over the ribs. Then, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 423(kcal)
- Fat 24.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.