Spicy tomato and bean soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Spicy tomato and bean soup is the perfect mid-week meal or to take into work for lunch. It reheats really well and is filling because of the beans. We recommend using baked beans for your spicy bean and tomato soup (who doesn't have a tin going spare in the cupboard?) and then adding crushed chilli flakes to the top for a little kick. Obviously these can be removed if you have little mouths eating too. Enjoy with fresh, crusty bread preferably warm from the oven.
- 415g can baked beans
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 125g (4oz) celery stick, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1tsp dried crushed chilli
- 400g (13oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml (1pt) vegetable stock
- 4tbsp soured cream
- Toasted bread
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan. Add the onion, celery, garlic, mixed herbs and chilli and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, baked beans and stock to the pan. Bring to the boil, cover then simmer for 25 mins.
- Serve the soup in warm bowls, topped with a swirl of soured cream and accompanied with chunks of bread.