Hairy Bikers' chicken paprikas
Serves: 6 - 8
Skill level: Easy peasy
Rich, red and ritzy, the three different paprikas add a smoky, sweet and spicy tang.
- 1 fat chicken
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Large knob of butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tbsp sweet paprika
- 1tbsp hot paprika
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 1tbsp flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 red pepper, seeded and cut into 1cm strips
- 4 large, ripe tomatoes (or 6 tinned will do)
- 250ml sour cream or smetana
- Joint the chicken (or get your butcher to do it). Rub the meat with salt, then brown in the oil and butter and set aside.
- In the same pan, sweat the onions and garlic for about 5 mins. Add the paprika, then the flour, and stir till blended. Don't burn it!
- Add most of the stock and stir for 5 mins to make the thick gravy base then add the chicken pieces. Add the rest of the stock (and then some boiling water) if it looks a bit dry.
- Mix in half the parsley and bring to the boil then add the red pepper. Simmer for 10 mins, add the tomatoes then cook over a low heat for about an hour. When the chicken is cooked, add the sour cream and the remaining parsley. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
This recipe is taken from The Hairy Bikers' Cookbook, available from Amazon, priced £12.99