Hairy Bakers - Maple syrup scones
Skill level: Easy peasy
Straight from the current series of The Hairy Bakers, here's the recipe for Dave Myers' and Simon King's maple syrup, walnut and buttermilk wholemeal scones
- 300g self-raising flour
- 100g oatmeal (porridge)
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 dessert spoon of baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 160g unsalted butter (warmed)
- 100g broken walnuts
- 125ml buttermilk
- 150ml maple syrup
- Blend together the self raising flour, the oatmeal, the wholemeal flour, caster sugar
- Add the baking powder and the salt.
- Rub through the butter until it goes into crumbs.
- Fold in the walnuts.
- Mix in the buttermilk with the maple syrup, then stir in this mixture to the dry goods to make a dough.
- Press out onto a table about 3 cm thick, using a pastry cutter stamp out your scones. This mix will make a dozen good sized ones.
- Place onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a hot oven, around 200°C, for around 10 minutes.
- These scones will rise like a space shuttle, and are wonderful dripping with butter and lemon curd whilst still warm.