Lemon cream cake
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Treat yourself to a slice of this creamy, decadent lemon cake from Woman's Weekly, topped with syrup and lemon curd. This delicious and tangy lemon cream cake recipe is a summery favourite. Made with a soft, citrus sponge and topped with a creamy, light frosting. This recipe serves 10 people and will take around 20 mins to prepare. It's the perfect cake for lemon lovers and really doesn't take that much to make either.
For the cake:
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 3 medium eggs
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
For the syrup:
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
For the topping:
- 150ml carton double cream
- 6 level tbsp lemon curd
- 20cm (8in) round cake tin, lined with baking parchment
- Disposable piping bag
The undecorated cake can be wrapped in a freezer bag and frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the cake to defrost overnight before decorating it.
- Set the oven to gas mark 3 or 160°C. To make the cake, tip the butter, sugar, flour and eggs into a bowl and beat until smooth then beat in the lemon zest.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and level the surface. Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1-1¼hrs or until the sponge feels firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Pour 4tbsp of water into a pan and add the sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, and boil it rapidly for 1-2 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon juice.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour the syrup over it. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 15 mins, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the topping, pour the cream into a bowl and whisk until it starts to thicken. Add 4 level tbsp of the lemon curd to the cream and continue whisking until it's thickened then spread the lemon cream over the top of cake. Put the remaining lemon curd in the piping bag and cut off the end of the bag to give a small hole. Pipe random lines over the top of the lemon cream. Keep the cake chilled until ready to serve.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: www.frankthephotographer.com Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 511(kcal)
- Fat 24.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.