Gordon Ramsay's blueberry muffins
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
These wholemeal muffins made with bananas, buttermilk and fresh blueberries are moist, full of goodness and very tasty.
- 2 very ripe large bananas
- 300g wholemeal flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of fine salt
- 100g light muscovado or brown sugar
- 284ml carton buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g light olive oil (or melted butter)
- 200g blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1tbsp demerara sugar
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Peel the bananas and mash in a bowl, using a fork.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk, egg, olive oil and bananas. Quickly fold the ingredients together until just incorporated, taking care not to overmix. Tip in the blueberries and give the batter one or two stirs.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases and sprinkle with the demerara sugar. These cases will be quite full.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 mins until well risen and golden brown on top; a skewer inserted into the centre of the muffin should emerge clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe is taken from Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite, available from Amazon for £10.