Gordon Ramsay's roasted beef fillet
Prep time:(plus chilling time)
Gordon Ramsay's roasted beef fillet is a delicious, succulent recipe that is easy to make and can be on the table in only 50 mins. A great source of protein and iron, this roasted fillet of beef is delicious in a tomato tarragon dressing. This recipe serves 6 people. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container to eat the next day. This recipe is great for using up leftovers from your Sunday roast too, just reduce the beef cooking time as your beef fillet or pieces would have already been cooked. Make sure they're piping hot before serving however.
- 1.2kg prime beef fillet (in one piece, cut from the thick end)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Few handfuls of wild rocket leaves
For the tomato tarragon dressing:
- 500g (about 6) ripe plum tomatoes
- 5tbsp ketchup (homemade is ideal)
- 2tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- Few dashes of Tabasco sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- Large handful each of tarragon and flat leaf parsley, chopped
- To make the dressing, cut each tomato in half and squeeze out the seeds. Finely chop the flesh and place in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the herbs, and mix well. Season well with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 20 mins or until ready to serve.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6 and preheat a roasting pan. Trim any fat or sinew from the fillet of beef and season all over with salt and pepper. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil. When it is very hot, add the beef and sear for 1½-2 mins on each side until evenly browned all over.
- Lightly oil the hot roasting pan. Transfer the beef to the roasting pan and place it in the oven. Roast for 25 mins for medium rare beef - it should feel a little springy when lightly pressed. Transfer the fillet to a warm platter and leave to rest for 10 mins.
- Serve the beef warm or at room temperature. Slice it thickly and overlap the slices on a serving platter. Pile the rocket into the centre. Stir the chopped herbs into the tomato tarragon dressing and spoon over the beef. Accompany with new potatoes if you like.
This recipe is taken from Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite, available from Amazon for £7.