Sausage tatin with tomato confit
John Morris's combination of sausage, caramelised onions, tomatoes and puff pastry makes a wonderful dinner party starter or light main course
- 3 large onions peeled and sliced
- 8 sSausages
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ½ oz icing sugar
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Puff pastry, rolled and cut into four 3? discs
- First, make the tomato confit. Cut the tomatoes in half, place in a bowl with the garlic, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar. Toss together until fully coated and place on a greaseproof tray. Bake in a medium oven for 2 ½ hours.
- Next, make the tatin. Cook the onion slowly until caramelised. Cook the sausages until lightly browned.
- To assemble: first, butter a 3? oven proof pan. Place two halves of tomato confit in the pan face down.
- Spoon a layer of caramelised onion on top followed by two sausages.
- Cover with a disc of puff pastry and bake in the oven at 200ºC/400ºF/Gas mark 6 for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully flip onto the plate, tomato side up. Serve with salad and balsamic vinegar.