Scallops on black pudding and apple slices
- 90g (3oz) basmati rice
- 60g (2oz) frozen peas
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1 Jazz apple, sliced through the core into 8 slices (discard the top and bottom slices and remove the pips)
- 200g (7oz) black pudding ring, skinned and cut into 10 slices
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 10-12 fresh scallops (220g pack), muscle removed
- A few rocket leaves, to garnish
- Also: dariole moulds or rings
- Rinse the rice and cook it according to pack directions for 8-10 mins. Add the peas for the last couple of minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a third of the butter with a dash of oil in a medium-sized frying pan. Add the 6 apple slices and cook over a medium heat for about 4 mins, until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside in a warm oven.
- Add the slices of black pudding to the buttery juices in the pan and cook for a minute on each side. Place with the apple slices in the oven. Season the rice and peas, add a dash of oil and spoon into dariole moulds or rings and turn out on to 2 warm plates. Arrange the apple slices, with the black pudding on top, around the rice on the plates.
- Wipe the frying pan clean, add the rest of the butter and, when foaming, add the scallops and cook for a minute on each side. Watch that the butter does not brown too much. Place the scallops on the black pudding, spoon the buttery juices over and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Garnish with rocket leaves. Serve hot with more salad, if you like.
Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 757(kcal)
- Fat 41.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.