Poached eggs with roasted tomatoes on wholemeal toast
A healthy but indulgent breakfast - perfect for lazy weekends!
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2- 4 large eggs
- 4 thick slices buttered wholemeal toast, to serve
As an alternative to fresh tomatoes, try using canned tomatoes - they do the same job and you can stack them up in your cupboard.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/Gas Mark 3. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthways. Place them in a medium bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Spread the tomatoes out on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until soft and slightly browned. Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the eggs. Bring 500ml of cold water to the boil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Reduce the heat until just simmering. Add the vinegar. One by one, break an egg into a small bowl and slide gently into the barely simmering water. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the whites are just set and the yolks soft. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate. How to poach an egg video
- To serve, top each portion of hot buttered toast with 3 roasted tomatoes and the poached eggs. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper if desired.
Top tip: As an alternative to fresh tomatoes, try using canned tomatoes - they do the same job and you can stack them up in your cupboard.www.learndirect.co.uk/brainfood