Sophie Conran's squash & goat's cheese stew
Skill level: Easy peasy
Celeb chef Sophie Conran's simple veggie dish with butternut squash, sweet potato, white wine and goat's cheese is a winner with everyone who has tried it.
IngredientsThis recipe is also part of our one-month hassle-free meal planner
Back to week one's recipes
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 2 onions peeled and sliced
- 2 fat cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 2tsp each finely chopped fresh thyme and rosemary
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 150ml (5fl oz) white wine
- 4 tomatoes peeled, seeded and cut in half
- 150ml (5fl oz) vegetable stock
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) double cream
- 200g (7oz) goat's cheese - preferably a nice, firm goat's cheese log with rind, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Top tip: Try it topped with other cheeses too - Roquefort or mozzarella work superbly.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan on a medium heat. Bung in the onions and gently fry for about 10 mins or until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme and rosemary, followed by the squash and sweet potato. Season with salt and plenty of pepper and continue cooking for 15 mins, stirring often.
- Stir in the wine and turn up the heat for a couple of minutes, so the wine reduces by half. Reduce the heat, plop in the tomatoes, then glug in the stock. Stir and boil gently for a further 10 mins, or until all the veg are lovely and soft and cooked to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill.
- Stir through the cream and place the cheese on top of the stew. Pop under the grill until all the cheese has melted and started to brown.
- Serve with couscous and a crunchy green salad.