Clarissa Dickson Wright's maids of honour
There are many recipes for the little quince tarts that Henry VIII named after his wives' ladies-in-waiting - but this is Clarissa's favourite
For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 135g butter
- 2 tsps icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tsp cold water
For the filling:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 heaped tsp selfraising flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g ground almonds
- Shredded rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp thick cream
- 6 tbsps quince jelly
- Mix all the pastry ingredients together to form a soft dough. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6. Roll out the pastry and use a pastry cutter to cut 12 rounds to fi t a 25cm tartlet tin.
- To make the filling, cream the butter and sugar together thoroughly then stir in the flour. Beat in the egg yolks, followed by the almonds, lemon rind and then the cream.
- 4/ Put a little quince jelly in each pie dish then spoon in the filling mixture. Bake the tarts in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then leave to cool on a rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
This recipe is taken from Clarissa's Comfort Food , available from Amazon, RPP £19.99, currently priced at £9.99.