Mary Berry's Thai shiitake chicken bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
You can make Mary Berry's delicious Thai chicken and mushroom curry bake in advance, so it's perfect if you're cooking tomorrow's dinner the night before or for stress-free dinner parties
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 12 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 300g (10oz) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 x 400ml coconut milk
- 2tsp fish sauce
- Juice and finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 2tsp caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp cornflour, slaked with a little coconut milk
- Chopped fresh basil or coriander
This dish can be made completely and then kept covered in the fridge for up to 48 hours before heating thoroughly and serving.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan or casserole dish. Brown the chicken thighs over a high heat until brown. Set aside. Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Thai paste, tamarind paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and zest, and sugar. Bring to the boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Season well.
- Add a little hot sauce to the slaked cornflour and tip into the pan with the sauce, stirring continuously while bringing it back to the boil. The sauce will thicken. Return the chicken thighs to the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid, transfer to the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with the chopped basil or coriander, and serve hot.
This recipe is from Mary Berry's Stress-free Kitchen.
Readers of Good to Know can order a copy of Mary Berry's Stress-Free Kitchen by Mary Berry , RRP £20.00, at the special discounted price of £17.00 (including p&p).
To order a copy please call on 0870 755 2122 quoting the reference code BSH664 or order online at pressoffers.co.uk. Please allow 28 days for delivery, offer subject to availability.