- 30g (1oz) butter, dripping or lard
- 500g (1lb) potatoes (such as Maris Piper, Desirée or Romano), peeled and thinly sliced, and patted dry with a cloth
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g (3½oz) Northumberland cheese, or Lancashire Original cheese, or Cheddar, grated
Serve as a supper on its own, with grilled meat or sausages, or add some chopped ham or bacon to the pan. Don't worry if the potatoes and onions are piled high in the pan, as they will sink down while cooking.
- Heat the butter (or dripping, or lard) in a heavy-based frying pan. Remove the pan from the heat and arrange in it a layer of potato, then onion, seasoning and cheese. Repeat the layering twice.
- Cover pan with a lid, or foil, and cook over a gentle heat for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender (test with a knife).
- Take off the cover and finish the dish under a hot grill to brown the top. Serve from the pan with a green salad.
Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Frankthephotographer.com. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 523(kcal)
- Fat 30.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.