Woman's Weekly Scotch woodcock
- 50g can anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- 45g (1½ oz) butter, softened
- 2 thick slices white bread
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche or double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few capers, optional
- Fried or grilled tomatoes
Top tip: Rinse anchovies before using if you're not keen on their saltiness.
- Set aside 4 anchovy fillets. Mash the rest of them with about 30g (1oz) of the butter. Toast the bread and spread it with the anchovy butter.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the crème fraîche, or cream, and season lightly.
- Melt rest of butter in a small pan. Add egg mixture and cook over a low heat, letting it set, then stirring gently until thickened and scrambled.
- Spoon mixture on to toast and arrange the reserved anchovies, halved lengthways, on top, adding the capers, if using. Serve with tomatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 500(kcal)
- Fat 38.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.