Brighton rock buns
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
- 50g (1½ oz) ground almonds
- Pinch of salt
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 90g (3oz) caster sugar
- 90g (3oz) currants, or dried mixed fruit
- 1 large egg, beaten
Top tip: Don't be tempted to add liquid to this mixture. Its dryness is what gives the cakes their 'rock-like' appearance.
To freeze the buns: Pack in a polybag or tub. Seal, label and freeze. Use within 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
- Set the oven to 190°C (gas mark 5). Sift the flour, ground almonds and salt into a bowl, and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar, dried fruit and egg, using a round-bladed knife to combine the mixture to a stiff dough.
- Divide dough into 12 rough shapes and place them on the baking sheet. Roughen the surface with a fork.
- Bake the cakes in the middle of the oven for 15 mins until light golden. Sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 193(kcal)
- Fat 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.