Rösti with bacon
- 500-750g (1-1˝ lb) potatoes, eg, Maris Piper, scrubbed
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 45g (1˝ oz) butter
- Salt and black pepper
- Place the unpeeled potatoes in a pan of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes, then drain well.
- Leave the potatoes until they are cool, then scrape off the skins and coarsely grate.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the bacon. Cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until bacon starts to crisp.
- Add 30g (1oz) butter to the pan and heat until it?s melted and starting to bubble, then add the grated potato and seasoning to the pan. Mix well so that the bacon is evenly distributed, and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press the mixture down well to level the top surface.
- Cook the rösti on a medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Place a large, flat plate over the top of the pan and carefully invert the rösti on to the plate.
- Add the remaining butter, leave it to melt, then swirl it around the base of the pan. Slide the rösti into the pan, pressing it down well, to keep the round shape. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the rösti feels tender when pierced with a skewer. Either slide the rösti onto a plate or serve straight from the pan, taking care not to damage the pan if you cut the rösti in the pan.
Photos: Simon Pask. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 204(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.