'Pear' of Halloween ghosts
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These poached pears are a healthy Halloween treat for the kids - as well as being great fun to make
- 2 ripe pears, peeled
- 300ml (½pt) apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A pinch of dried nutmeg
- 2 frozen redcurrants, dried cranberries or dried sultanas
- Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or pine nuts
- Aerosol dairy cream (eg Anchor iScream)
- Summer fruit juice or similar red fruit juice
- Place the peeled pears into a saucepan with the apple juice, cinnamon stick and nutmeg.
- Simmer gently for 20 mins until pears soften slightly.
- Remove from juice and allow to cool. Slice a small slither off the bottom of the pears so that they stand upright.
- Continue to reduce the juice for a further 10 minutes (this will be a tasty syrup to serve with the pears).
- Carefully make small holes in the pears for the eyes and place into them the redcurrants/cranberries/sultanas.
- Use the seeds as teeth and carefully push into the pear in a circular shape.
- Place on a plate, squirt liberally with cream and spoon some of the red juice into the ghost's mouths to create a spooky effect!