Avocado and brown rice salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Great on its own for lunch, or as a side dish to chicken, this healthy, meat-free brown rice salad is really tasty and easy to make
- 175g easy-cook brown rice
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 ripe Hass avocado (remove skin and stone, and dice flesh)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp hemp seed oil (eg Good Oil)
- 150g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
Swapping white rice for healthier brown rice, as well as eating a healthy diet and doing regular exercise, could cut your chance of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Once the rice is cooked, drain well and allow to cool.
- To make the dressing: combine the oil, vinegar and garlic.
- Transfer the rice to a serving bowl, stir in the avocado, spring onions, tomatoes, chilli flakes and dressing and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 400(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.