Halloween meringue ghost sundae
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Create your very own spooky Halloween sundae - vanilla ice cream served with a warm apple and blackberry sauce, and topped with a ghostly meringue!
For the meringue ghosts:
- 2 medium egg whites
- 115g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp vinegar
For the stewed apple and blackberry sauce:
- 900g bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 400g blackberries
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 scoops of soft-scoop vanilla ice cream
- To make the meringue ghosts: Preheat oven to 120°C (fan) or gas mark 2. Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Place egg whites in clean, grease-free bowl and whisk on high speed until egg white reaches the stiff peak stage. Add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time until the mixture is thick and glossy. Whisk in the vanilla and vinegar.
- Fill a piping bag with large plain nozzle. Line a baking sheet with non-stick parchment. Pipe meringue ghosts following the template given. Reduce the oven to 110ºC (fan)/Gas Mark 1 for 30 mins. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues to dry out overnight.
- To make the apple and blackberry sauce: place all ingredients in a heavy based saucepan together with 3tbsp water and gently cook for 20 mins until soft and pulpy.
- To serve: in a glass sundae dish, place a rounded scoop of ice cream. Spoon over 2 generous tablespoons of stewed apple and finish with meringue ghosts. Serve immediately.
For more Wall's ice cream products, visit walls.co.uk