Total time:(plus 24 hours to chill)
Skill level: Easy peasy
It's nicest of all to make your own mincemeat for your mince pies at Christmas time. Try this delicious and easy recipe that can be made months in advance and then keeps for next year!
- 50g (1¾ oz) each of sultanas, raisins and currants
- 1 Bramley apple, cored and coarsely grated
- 50g (1¾ oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 50g (1¾ oz) luxury mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 25g (1oz) glacé cherries, roughly chopped
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tbsp mixed spice
- 25g (1oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 60ml (2½ fl oz) brandy
- Rinse the dried fruit and mix up all of the mincemeat ingredients until everything is combined.
- Cover with cling film and chill for 24 hours
- Pack the mincemeat into jars, fill to the brim to make sure there are no air pockets and screw the lids back on.
- Store in a cool, dry place and use in mince pies.