Hairy Bakers' wedding cake
Makes: A 10kg cake
Cooking time:(may need upto 4hrs)
Total time:(not including decorating time)
Skill level: Master chef
Costs: Splashing out
The wonderful Hairy Bakers show you how to make an unforgettable carrot and fruit wedding cake for an unforgettable day!
- 100g dried pineapple (rehydrated in 150ml water)
- 1.5kg raisins
- 3.2kg sultanas
- 1.4kg plain flour
- 10g cardamom
- 10g mixed spice
- 20g bicarb
- 10g salt
- 100g dates
- 250g grated carrot
- Zest of 3 lemons
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 750ml sunflower oil
- 600ml barley malt syrup
- 900g brown rice syrup - or normal syrup
- 20 eggs (1 ltr)
- Preheat the oven to 140ºC/275ºF/gas 1. Brush three cake tins with sunflower oil.
- Sift the flour into a very large bowl, add the sultanas, raisins, chopped dates, bicarbonate of soda, salt and mixed spice and stir well to combine.
- Add the barley malt syrup and brown rice syrup and stir well to combine.
- Stir the beaten eggs into the mixture, then add the sunflower oil and stir well to combine.
- Add the grated carrot, orange zest and lemon zest and stir well to combine.
- Add the chopped pineapple and cardomon seeds and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the three baking tins, until the mixture reaches no more than three-quarters of the way up the tins.
- Wrap each tin in greaseproof paper and secure each with string. Cut one 20cm/8in, one 25cm/10in and one 30cm/12in disc of greaseproof paper and cover each tin with the corresponding-sized disc.
- Transfer the cakes to the oven and bake for 3-4 hours, checking occasionally, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of each cake.
- Set the cakes aside to rest for two days.
- Assemble the cake tiers and decorate with marzipan, royal icing and the decoration of your choice.