Jamie Oliver's spicy tomato soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Jamie Oliver has created the perfect update on the humble tomato soup - giving it a little kick! Jamie understands the pressures to cook a quick mid-week family meal, so has used a shortcut that makes this tomato soup easy to make and on the table quickly. Instead of reducing the tomatoes from scratch, he suggests using a pasta sauce - ready in under 30 minutes! An easy spicy tomato soup! Serve this spicy tomato soup with a chunk of white loaf (obviously covered in butter) and some fresh chillis to top it off - maybe hold those back from the kid's portions though!
- 1 jar of tomato and chilli pasta sauce
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- A bunch of fresh coriander; leaves picked, stalks finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 750g ripe tomatoes
- 1 ltr chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4tbsp crème fraiche
- Put your onion, garlic, carrot and coriander stalks into a large pot with a couple of lugs of olive oil. Cover and cook gently for 10 mins, stirring regularly to prevent colouring.
- Meanwhile, drop the tomatoes into boiling water for a minute or two. Take them out, run them under the cold tap, then pinch the skins off, discard, and roughly chop the flesh. Add to the pan with the stick and the jar of tomato and chilli pasta sauce. Simmer for another 20 mins with the lid on.
- Whiz your soup in a blender, then pour it back in the pan and season well. Serve with a good spoonful of crème fraiche in each bowl, a sprinkling of coriander leaves and a few chopped chillies if you dare!