Gory Halloween rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Large knob of butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped, or crushed, optional
- 250g (8oz) Arborio/ risotto rice
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 560g jar or carton of passata (creamed tomatoes)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few fresh basil leaves, shredded, optional
- About 60g (2oz) freshly grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese
Instead of the passata, you can use 2 cans of chopped tomatoes in this recipe.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat and add the oil, butter and onion. Cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, if using, and the rice, then stir-fry for a couple of minutes, to coat the rice in the butter.
- Increase the heat to high and add half the stock. Let it bubble, and stir occasionally until almost absorbed, then pour in the rest of the stock and the passata. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice still has bite, but it's also fairly runny.
- Take the risotto off the heat, then add the sugar and seasoning to taste.
- Serve in warmed bowls and sprinkle with shredded basil leaves, if you like, and a little grated Parmesan or Cheddar.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 286(kcal)
- Fat 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.