Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious mixture of apples, raisins and cinnamon wrapped up in filo pastry makes a great winter dinner party dessert.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC (gas mark 5). Peel, core and chop the apples into small pieces.
- Place the apples into a large microwavable mixing bowl along with the sugar and cook on a high heat for 3 mins in the microwave to soften the apples. Stir in the raisins, cinnamon and almonds and mix well.
- Place a piece of greaseproof paper onto a baking tray large enough to fit the filo pastry then sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Lay each piece of filo pastry onto the greaseproof buttering each layer as you do so. Spoon over the apple mixture leaving a 2cm cap around the edge.
- Carefully fold the filo pastry up around the filling like a Swiss roll using the greaseproof paper to help. With a knife score the strudel into portions making sure to only cut half through the pastry. Brush with the remaining butter.
- Place the strudel into the oven and cook for about 35 mins until lightly browned.
- Remove the strudel from the oven, dust with a little more icing sugar and serve with custard.