Sausage and honeyed onion rolls
- 6-8 sausages
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2 level tbsp honey
- 1 level tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 finger rolls
Cook the onions for a long time over a low heat, so they will caramelise without burning.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C.
- Place the sausages on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning them occasionally, until they are golden and cooked through.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, and add onion and honey. Cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is caramelised. Stir in mustard, vinegar and seasoning, and mix well. Cook for a few minutes until some of the moisture evaporates.
- Cut a slit in the top of each roll and fill with a sausage and some of the honeyed onion mixture. Serve immediately.
Top tip: Cook the onions for a long time over a low heat, so they will caramelise without burning. Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: frankthephotographer.com. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 130(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.