Credit crunch hotpot
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This sausage and sweetcorn hotpot makes the perfect winter supper dish - and costs less than £5 for 4 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 400g good quality pork sausages
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 350g jar tomato pasta sauce
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 340g can sweetcorn, drained
- 450g new potatoes, thinly sliced
- 25g butter, melted
- Heat the oven to 190ºC/Gas Mark 5.
- Heat the oil in a shallow ovenproof casserole, add the onion and sausages and cook over a medium heat, turning until the sausages are lightly browned. Add the carrot and leek and cook a further 3 minutes.
- Pour in the sauce, stock and sweetcorn, mix together and gently bring to simmer.
- Scatter the potato slices over the top, brush with melted butter and place in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes or until the potatoes are golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 584(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.