Credit crunch risotto
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A meal for 4 for less than £3: a delicious veggie risotto that's ready in just 30 minutes
- 400g broccoli
- 1.2 l vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300g risotto rice
- 198g can green sweetcorn, drained
- 8 triangles (140g) cheese (eg Laughing Cow)
- Cut the florets from the stalk of the broccoli, cut the florets into small pieces.
- Pour the stock into a large pan and bring to simmer, leave on a low heat.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion over a medium heat until golden and softened. Add the garlic and rice and cook for a further minute.
- Add a ladleful of the hot stock and boil until the liquid has been absorbed. Pour in half of the remaining stock and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed, stirring from time to time.
- Add the raw broccoli florets to the risotto with the remaining stock, drained sweet corn and cook, stirring for 5 minutes, until the liquid has almost been absorbed and the rice is tender but still has a sloppy consistency. Add a little extra stock if needed.
- Add the soft cheese and stir over a low heat until the cheese has melted. Season if needed.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 490(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.