Pork parcels with Brazil nut stuffing
Skill level: Easy peasy
This magnesium-rich dish is delicious with cranberry gravy. Perfect for dinner parties as you can make the pork in advance.
- 4 slices pork leg meat (escalopes) approx 400g
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 300ml chicken stock
- 100g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3tbsp port
- Grated zest and juice of half an orange
- 2tsp corn flour
For the stuffing:
- 15g butter
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 50g Brazil nuts, finely chopped
- 40g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 6 ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
- 2tsp freshly chopped sage leaves
- 50g soft goat's cheese
The parcels can be assembled in advance and kept refrigerated until ready to cook. Nutritional infoMagnesium works with calcium to help maintain healthy bones, essential for good health. Including plenty of wholegrains in your diet is a great way to maintain magnesium levels - nuts, seeds and green vegetables are also good sources of magnesium.
- Heat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan) or gas mark 5.
- Place a slice of pork between cling film and beat out until evenly thin. Lightly season each one.
- To make the stuffing, melt the butter in a small pan, add the spring onions and cook for 2 mins to soften. Turn into a bowl and when cool, add the chopped nuts, breadcrumbs, apricots and sage, season a little and toss together. Add the soft cheese and mix together until the cheese is evenly distributed.
- Divide between the 4 escalopes, spreading it over two-thirds of each portion. Roll up from the end with the stuffing, then secure with a cocktail stick.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with the oil, add the parcels and fry over a medium high heat, turning until golden brown all over.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish, pour over the stock then cover with foil and bake for 25 mins.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a pan, and keep the parcels warm in a low oven. Boil the stock to reduce by a third, then add the cranberries, port and orange zest. Simmer until the cranberries soften. Blend the corn flour with the orange juice, add to the sauce and simmer until thickened.
- Remove the cocktail sticks from the parcels and cut each into 5 slices. Arrange on warm plates and spoon the cranberry gravy around. Serve with new potatoes and green vegetables.
Cook's tip: The parcels can be assembled in advance and kept refrigerated until ready to cook. Nutritional info: Magnesium works with calcium to help maintain healthy bones, essential for good health. Including plenty of wholegrains in your diet is a great way to maintain magnesium levels - nuts, seeds and green vegetables are also good sources of magnesium. www.nutriprofile.org