Mitch Tonks' smoked salmon and spinach gratin
Mitch Tonks' fishy alternative to a classic potato dish makes the perfect side dish or starter for a dinner party.
- 200g roughly chopped smoked salmon
- 1pint milk
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves
- Good pinch of nutmeg
- 1 lemon
- A handful of spinach cooked, removing all moisture
- 4tbsp flour
- 50g butter
- Small handful of finely chopped dill
- Small handful of fine breadcrumbs
- Place the milk, onion, bay leaf and cloves into a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 mins then remove from the heat. In another saucepan, melt the butter then stir in the flour until you have a creamy paste. Gradually pour on the milk whilst whisking until you have a sauce of double cream consistency.
- Add the smoked salmon, spinach and dill and nutmeg to the sauce. Pour into a shallow dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs, dot with butter and grill for 3-4 mins until crisp. Finish with a squeeze of lemon. Serve with thick cut crusty or wholemeal bread.