Ham, spinach and Gruyère croissant ring
Skill level: Bit of effort
Delicious for breakfast, brunch or lunch, Tana Ramsay's croissant ring is even tastier when cooked on a pizza stone.
- Oil for greasing
- 2 X 240g packs of croissant dough
- 250g/9oz spinach, washed
- 10 slices of honey-roast ham, cut into strips
- Zest of one lemon
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 spring onions, chopped into rings about 5mm/¼ inch thick
- 10 small button mushrooms, sliced into quarters
- 50g/2oz rocket leaves
- 5tbsp mascarpone cheese
- 50g/2oz Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Oil a pizza stone or grease a baking tray. Leave the croissant dough in the fridge until the last minute.
- Start by blanching the spinach. Bring a pan of water to the boil, drop in the spinach and allow it to wilt for 3 mins. Remove from the pan and leave to drain over the pan - this takes a little while, but you don't want excess water in the dough ring.
- Meanwhile, put the ham into a large mixing bowl, add the lemon zest, tomatoes, spring onions, mushrooms and rocket. Once the spinach has drained, stir the mascarpone cheese through it and add to the ham mix in the bowl. Add a good grinding of black pepper.
- Take the dough out of the fridge, lay it out on a chopping board and separate along the perforations until you have squares. Cut each square diagonally so that you then have triangles. Arrange the triangles so they overlap and are in a large circle - the idea being you place your filling along the middle then pull over the top tips of the triangle and tuck underneath to encase the filling. Continue until you have used all your triangles, then spoon on the filling. Finish by sprinkling the Gruyère cheese over the filling, then fold the triangle tips over and tuck them underneath.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 mins. Ensure the dough is cooked through and has a golden top. Serve immediately.
This recipe is from Home Made: Good, Honest Food Made Easy available on Amazon, RRP £20