Black Forest roulade
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) plain chocolate, melted
- 2-3 tbsp Kirsch
- Icing sugar, for dredging
For the decorations
- 60-90g (2-3oz) modelling chocolate
For the filling
- 284ml carton double cream
- 340g jar black cherry conserve
- 3-4 tbsp Kirsch
- 33 x 23cm (13 x 9in) Swiss roll tin, lined with baking parchment
- Holly-shape leaf cutter
You can buy modelling chocolate e.g. Dark Cocoform from Squires Kitchen (0845 225 5671 / www.squires-shop.com) or from most cake-decorating shops.
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- To make the roulade, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar, until the mixture leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted out from mixture. Fold chocolate into the egg-yolk mixture. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into the egg-yolk mixture, then turn out into the Swiss roll tin. Use a palette knife to spread the mixture out to the edges, taking care not to knock out too much of the air. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 mins, until the mixture has set. Remove from oven and turn the roulade out on to a board that has a sheet of baking parchment on it. Leave the lining paper on the roulade sponge and then cover with a damp, clean tea-towel and leave to cool for at least 4 hrs, or overnight.
- To make the holly-leaf decorations, knead the modelling chocolate to soften it and then roll it out thinly and use the cutter to cut out leaf shapes. Use the back of a small knife to mark veining on leaves, then twist each leaf slightly and leave them to set. Roll balls of chocolate for berries.
- To make the filling, whisk the cream until it starts to form soft peaks and fold half the jar of cherry conserve into it. Stir in the Kirsch.
- Remove the tea towel and lining paper from the roulade sponge and brush the Kirsch over the surface. Spread the remaining conserve over roulade, then spread over the cream. Use the base sheet of baking parchment to help roll the roulade up. Transfer roulade to a serving dish, dredge it with icing sugar and arrange the chocolate holly leaves and berries on top. Keep roulade chilled until serving. It can be made a day in advance up until being dredged with icing sugar, and kept in the fridge overnight (not suitable for freezing). Decorate just before serving.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: www.frankthephotographer.com. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 574(kcal)
- Fat 34.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.