Hairy Bakers Christmas pudding
Serves: 6 - 8
Skill level: Easy peasy
We've got the Hairy Bakers Christmas steamed pudding, straight from their Hairy Bakers Christmas special. It's really easy to make - just mix everything together then steam for a couple of hours
- 100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 120ml stout, something like Guinness
- 2 eggs
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 120g wholemeal flour
- 100g brown sugar
- 50g skinned almonds
- 4 level tsp mixed spice, or to taste
- 1/2tsp grated nutmeg
- 50g cooking apple, chopped
- 50g orange, chopped
- 200g raisins
- 300g sultanas
- lemon and orange zest
- 1tsp salt
- 1 large, 2 pint bowl
This steamed Christmas pudding can be made up to 6 months before Christmas. Cover it with fresh baking parchment and store in a dry cupboard. Keep topped up with a splash of brandy every week, to help preserve the pudding and make it rich and moist. Not suitable for freezing.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the stout.
- Add the eggs, sunflower oil and sugar and mix together.
- Add everything else except the apple and orange and mix together for about 3-5 mins.
- Add in the apple and orange and blend together.
- Spoon the mixture into a large bowl, pressing down quite firmly. Cover with a layer of baking parchment with a pleat in it, held in place with an elastic band.
- Put the pudding in the top of a steamer, and steam for 2hrs, ensuring that the steamer does not boil dry. Remove from the steamer and leave the pudding to cool.