Rose Turkish Delight
Skill level: Bit of effort
Turkish delight delicately flavoured with rosewater looks gorgeous and taste wonderful. It's a great gift that anyone would love to receive. This easy rose Turkish Delight recipe makes 36-49 squares and is the perfect food gift to wrap up in cellophane bags and give to loved ones. It's a classic recipe that you'll want to make time and time again. Don't forget to dust each cube with icing sugar before handing to friends and family. Once you've made your Turkish Delight store in a cool, dry place (but not in the fridge) for up to 1 week. This recipe is not suitable for freezing. Turkish Delight like most recipes to best made and eaten on the same day.
Gift idea: Try packaging the Turkish Delight in a cup and saucer, wrapped in cellophane, so that the recipient still has a present after the sweets have been eaten.
- 8 leaves gelatine
- 500g (1lb) granulated sugar
- Few drops of rosewater
- Few drops of pink liquid food colouring
- 2 level tbsp icing sugar
- 1 level tbsp cornflour
- 18cm (7in) square sandwich tin
- Pour 300ml (½ pint) water into a pan and add the gelatine leaves, breaking them in half, if necessary, so that they fit. Leave the gelatine to bloom for about 5 mins, then place the pan on a low heat and stir gently until the gelatine melts. Add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer it gently for 20 mins.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in rose water and food colouring, until it's pale pink. Wet the sandwich tin with cold water, then pour in the rose syrup. Leave this in a cool place to set overnight.
- Sift the icing sugar and cornflour together onto a plate or board. Ease the set Turkish Delight out of the tin on to the icing-sugar mixture. Use a long knife with a damp blade to cut the jelly into 2.5-3cm (1-1¼in) squares. Coat all cut surfaces in the powder mixture.
- Store in a cardboard box, lined with baking parchment, in a single layer, dusted with a little extra icing-sugar mixture. Keep in a cool, dry place (but not in the fridge) for up to 1 week (not suitable for freezing).
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 145(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.