Sweet potato and vegetable soup
Cooking time:(roast the sweet potato while you make the stock)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make your own chicken stock with white wine and fresh thyme to add tons of flavour to this healthy vegetable soup of sweet potato, parsnips and carrots.
For the homemade stock
- 2 chicken legs
- 2 carrot, diced
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 125ml white wine
For the roasted veg
- 1 parsnip, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1tbsp plain vegetable oil
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 carrots
To create an optional parsnip crisp, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Fry 1 slice of parsnip at a time for approximately 1 min until crisp. Reserve on kitchen towel.
- To make the chicken stock, heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chicken legs and brown for 15 mins or until golden brown.
- Add half the diced carrot, all of the leeks, onion and thyme and sweat for a further 10 mins.
- Add the white wine and cook off the alcohol for 2/3 mins. Cover the ingredients with water and gently simmer for 30 mins. Strain the stock through a sieve and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place sweet potatoes in a roasting tray in the preheated oven for 25/30 mins until soft. Peel and dice the carrots into 2cm cubes and keep to one side.
- Scoop out the flesh of the roasted sweet potatoes and discard the skins. Place the sweet potato in a blender gradually adding the chicken stock until it develops the consistency of soup. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Sweat the remaining diced carrot in a frying pan with 1tbsp of olive oil for 5/6 mins or until they colour. Ensure the soup is hot, serve into bowls, scatter the diced carrot and parsnip crisp on top (optional) and add a drizzle of olive oil.
Cook's tip: To create an optional parsnip crisp, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Fry 1 slice of parsnip at a time for approximately 1 min until crisp. Reserve on kitchen towel.This recipe was made using ingredients from Sainsbury's basics range. For products visit www.sainsburys.co.uk