Fruity turkey stuffing
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and finely diced - use 500g/1lb for the stuffing and keep rest for a vegetable medley
- 1 cooking apple, peeled and finely diced
- 100g (3Żoz) ready-to-eat prunes, chopped
- 100g (3Żoz) pecan nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2tbsp brandy or Marsala
- 125g (4oz) coarse, day-old breadcrumbs
- 4tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
This stuffing can be made the day before. If you prefer to cook it separately from the bird, pack the mixture into a baking dish and cook in the oven at Gas Mark 5 or 190░C for 20 mins, then cover with foil and cook for another 15 mins. Serve in slices.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook for 3 mins. Add the celery and squash and cook, covered, for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until the squash is softened. Use a potato masher to crush the vegetables, but not too smoothly. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients as you prepare them and mix well. Cool before using to stuff the turkey.
- Use about 500g (1lb) of stuffing for the neck end of the turkey and shape the rest into 16 stuffing balls. Put on a baking sheet (with some sausages in bacon) to cook later.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 184(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.