Root vegetable medley
- 4 medium carrots (about 400g/14oz), peeled and sliced
- 2 medium parsnips (about 300g/10oz), peeled and sliced
- ½ small swede (about 300g/10oz), peeled and diced
- Butternut squash leftover from stuffing recipe, cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunky pieces
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml (¼pt) hot chicken or vegetable stock or water
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
The vegetables can be roasted the day before. Cool them in a bowl after roasting. To reheatIn a pan, bring the stock to the boil, add the vegetables and cook for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally, until they are heated through and tender. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for another few minutes.
- Set the oven to 200ºC/180ºC Fan/gas 6. Add the carrots to a pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil, then add parsnip and swede, and cook for 5 mins. Drain well.
- Put the vegetables in a roasting tin with the squash, if using, red onion wedges and red pepper chunks. Drizzle with the oil to coat well, and season.
- Roast the vegetables for 40 mins, then stir well, add the stock and cook for another 15 mins. Stir in the tomatoes and heat through for 5-10 mins. Garnish with parsley.
Not suitable for freezing.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 121(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.