Quick mushroom and spinach lasagne
Skill level: Easy peasy
This quick mushroom and spinach lasagne just proves that making lasagne doesn't have to be time consuming - this easy recipe takes just 15 mins to prepare and about half an hour in the oven which makes it perfect any night of the week. You don't need to be vegetarian to make this recipe, it's a great meat-free alternative that'll be irresistible to everyone, even the most committed carnivores in your family. It's also a really fab way to get kids eating their greens. This cheesy lasagne is perfectly creamy and full of flavour and you'll never believe just how easy it is to make. With a prep time of only 15 minutes, once you pop it in the oven you can easily put your feet up and relax whilst it bubbles away nicely.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 180g pack spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 250g pack chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with basil
- 300g pack fresh lasagne sheets
- 2 (200ml) tubs half-fat crème fraiche
- 100g/4oz mature cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Want to make this in advance and freeze it? Prepare up to stage 5, wait for it to cool and whack it in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can cook this from frozen, but it will take longer.
- To make your lasagne, preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C /gas mark 6). Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan, add half the garlic and spinach leaves and stir fry for 1-2 mins until the leaves have wilted. Remove from the heat, season well and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the pan, add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Stir in the remaining garlic and sizzle for 30 secs. Stir in the tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer over high heat for 2 mins or until reduced. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
- Season the crème fraiche with the nutmeg, salt and ground black pepper, then mix well. Lightly oil a 1.4ltr/ 2½ pint ovenproof dish.
- Place a layer of lasagne over the base, trimming it to fit. Top with half the mushroom mix, then more lasagne. Spoon a third of the crème fraiche over, scatter over half the spinach and a third of the cheese. Repeat these layers once more. Now place a final layer of lasagne on top, spread over the remaining crème fraiche and cheese.
- Place on a baking tray, then bake for 25-30 mins or until the lasagne is tender and the top golden. Leave to stand for 5 mins before serving in wedges with a nice green salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 604(kcal)
- Fat 30.8g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.