Phil Vickery’s apple fool
A delicous biscuity dessert made with Bramley apples, thick yogurt and custard served with chocolate on top.
- 2 medium Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1cm pieces
- 4tbsp soft brown sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 55g bitter chocolate, finely grated
- 10 Sponge fingers/Savoy biscuits
- 1 pint ready-made, low-fat custard
- 450g thick yogurt
- Place the apples, brown sugar, juice and zest of lemon into a saucepan. Bring to the boil stirring occasionally, then turn down the heat, and cook until soft and pulpy; about 15 mins. You may need to add a little more water if the mixture is too thick, then cool.
- Grate the chocolate carefully on a cheese grater, then chill well, or pop into the freezer.
- Place a large bowl or bowls on the work surface, then spoon half of the apple into the bottom. Break up the Sponge fingers/Savoy biscuits and sprinkle over the apple then spoon over half the custard and next, half the yogurt. Repeat (apple, custard and yogurt) then finally sprinkle over the chocolate just before serving.