Roasted aubergine stack
This colourful aubergine and pepper dish is extra-tasty with scarmozza cheese, fresh pesto and balsamic syrup.
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 small aubergine cut into 6 slices, about 1cm thick
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ball scarmozza (smoked mozzarella, or alternatively use buffalo mozzarella or halloumi cheese) cut into 4 discs
- 8 leaves basil
- 2tbsp fresh pesto
- A few squeezes of balsamic syrup
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Place the peppers in the oven and bake for 30 mins or until the skin has slightly blackened and they have become softened.
- Heat a griddle pan until it begins to smoke. Toss the aubergines in a bowl with the olive oil and a little salt. Lay the aubergines on the griddle pan and grill for 2-3 mins on each side or until they have become golden and slightly charred. Set aside to drain on some kitchen paper.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and leave to stand for 10 mins. Cut them in half from stem to tip and remove the pips and skin. You will have 4 pieces of pepper, two in each colour. Lay a slice of aubergine, then a slice of basil, then a slice of cheese, a slice of basil, then a slice of each of the peppers, seasoning with salt and pepper in between each slice, and repeat. This will make one stack. Do the same with the remaining ingredients to make the second stack, and top both with the remaining aubergine.
- Place the stacks on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 10 mins. Lay each stack on a plate and drizzle with pesto balsamic syrup to serve.