Skill level: Easy peasy
Sausage casserole is so simple with this easy recipe with cannellini beans, plum tomatoes and potatoes. Plus, it's ready in under an hour! Give sausages a smoky flavour by braising them in a tomato and paprika sauce. This sausage and bean casserole recipe serves 4-6 people and is perfect if you've got a lot of people to feed and want to do it cheaply and with no fuss. This easy sausage casserole recipe is certainly a classic that you'll want to make time and time again. The whole family will love it! This hearty sausage casserole takes only 15 mins to prepare and then it cooks itself, which is ideal if you're looking for something easy for dinner – you can leave it and get on with other things. Plus, it’s ready in just 4 easy steps, so you know this sausage casserole is an easy recipe that you can make for a no-fuss midweek meal. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days, but make sure you reheat thoroughly before serving. This casserole is perfect served with crusty bread for dipping.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat thoroughly before serving.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 8 thick sausages
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, washed and cut into thick slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (approx 450g)
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- Splash of red wine
- 200ml beef stock
- 350g cannellini beans (drained weight)
- Salt and pepper
- Small handful of flat-leaf parsley or chives, chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and fry the sausages for 8-10 mins, turning frequently until browned all over. Remove from the pan, cut in half and set aside.
- Drain any excess oil from the pan then add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes to soften. Add in the leeks, potato and smoked paprika and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Pour in the tomatoes, red wine and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and return the sausage pieces to the pan, along with the cannellini beans. Cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 mins over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and continue to cook for a further 5-10 mins.
- Season to taste, and scatter with parsley or chives. Serve with crusty bread.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.