Parsnip and tomato gratin
- 600g (1¼lb) parsnips, peeled and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can whole plum tomatoes
- 100-125g (3½ -4oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp coarse breadcrumbs
- A little paprika
If you have any leftovers, they will reheat well in the microwave.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200ºC. Add the sliced parsnips to a pan of boiling, salted water, bring back to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Spoon half the parsnips into a buttered, deep ovenproof dish. Season well, then spoon the tomatoes and their juice over. Layer the rest of the parsnips on top. Season, then sprinkle with the cheese, breadcrumbs and paprika.
- Put the dish on a baking sheet and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until browning on top, and the parsnip slices are tender.
Not suitable for freezing.Cook's tipIf you have any leftovers, they will reheat well in the microwave.Recipes and food stylist: Sue McMahon. Photos: Simon Pask.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 270(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.