- 4-6 mackerel, gutted and heads removed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 100g (3½oz) light soft brown sugar
- 1 level tbsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 568ml bottle malt vinegar
White or red wine vinegar or cider vinegar can be used in place of the malt vinegar. Storage tipThe fish may be kept in the vinegar, in the fridge, for up to 4 days.
- Set the oven to gas mark 2 or 150°C.
- Arrange the fish in a single layer in an ovenproof dish. Place the onion slices on top. Sprinkle the sugar, coriander and chilli over and add the bay leaves. Pour vinegar and 300ml (½ pint) water into the dish, so it totally covers the fish.
- Cover dish with a lid or a sheet of foil. Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-60 mins, until the fish is very tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot, or leave to cool and serve chilled with soda bread or crusty bread to soak up the juices.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Noel Murphy. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 512(kcal)
- Fat 32.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.