Fluffy mushroom omelette
- About 60g (2oz) butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 250g (8oz) portabellini mushrooms, wiped clean
- 4 eggs, separated
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4tbsp cream cheese
- Handful of fresh parsley leaves
- Toast, to serve (optional)
If you prefer, you can just make one large omelette.
- Set the grill to hot. Melt half the butter with 1tsp of the oil in a large frying pan and add the mushrooms, stalks down. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 mins, then turn them over and cook for another 3-5 mins.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg whites in a large bowl until stiff. Beat the egg yolks with 2tbsp of warm water until thick; fold them into the whites with seasoning.
- Heat half the rest of the butter and 1 tsp oil in a small omelette pan (with heatproof handle). Spoon in half the egg mixture and cook for a couple of minutes until just beginning to brown underneath.
- Pop the pan under the grill and let the mixture rise.
- Spoon 2tbsp of cream cheese on top, add half the mushrooms and sprinkle with parsley leaves. Fold in half as you turn it out on to warm plate.
- Wipe the pan clean and make a second omelette, as above. Serve with toast, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 605(kcal)
- Fat 58.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.